Tuesday 5 April 2011

The Bankside Health Club

Blue Fin Building
110 Southwark St
London
SE1 0SU

Date of visit: April 2011

I called the club and spoke to Marta. I must say that she was very nice and very helpful. We arranged to meet the next day. On arrival Marta asked me to fill in the normal paper work, she showed me around and then I got to use the gym. They say that the whole club is 16,000 square feet and has 3,000 members. It did feel a bit smaller. All of the equipment is in the basement. When I arrived at about mid day the gym was not packed. They use a lot of Techogym equipment and there seemed to be enough cardio machines and free weights for the number of members at the moment. They also have a boxing ring in the middle of the gym.

Good Points: The staff seemed nice, as did the members. They really seemed to have put a lot of thought into the layout of the gym. It seemed to flow. They had mirrors everywhere and even the seated rowing machine was positioned in such a way that I could see my back when I did the exercise. In general I would say that this is a good club and compared to other gyms in London, it's good value. As a resident I was offered £42 per month for off peak and £61 per month for peak membership (joining fee is £20.11). They also have a sauna and steam room in the changing rooms.

Bad points: There is no natural light. Also, I don’t think that they should have TVs on all of the running machines – how can you see yourself in the mirror. I go to the gym to look and feel good, not to watch Eastenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment